Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Whole Body Listening



During a recent meeting with fellow educators, I was made aware of a practice called 'Whole Body Listening.'  There was a book and accompaning poster that taught the merits of whole body listening and the using of one's:

  • Brain: Thinking about what is being said
  • Ears: Both ears ready to hear
  • Eyes: Looking at the person talking
  • Mouth: Quiet - no talking, humming or making sounds
  • Body: Faces the speaker
  • Feet: Quiet on the floor
  • Hands: Quiet in lap, pockets or by side
  • Hear: Caring about what the other person is saying
I was intrigued and became motivated to integrate this practice into the classroom.  I found myself less pleased with the accompanying materials used to teach and reinforce this practice.  As referred to in an earlier post, I set out to use Adobe Photoshop to create a classroom poster that supported the practice while still being interesting.  I have found that students love having their interests acknowledged and validated through teacher understanding.  The bond between shared likes is a strong one and can often help in establishing teacher-student relationships.  I am personally fond of a popular cartoon show called Adventure Time.  Its clever word play, mystical undertones, fantastic world building, and its emotional engagement resonate with children and adults alike.

If you would like a file of this poster just email me your request.  I will send you a printable file that is split up so that you can print it on a standard color printer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment