Friday, May 24, 2013

Visual Aides

I have found that the use of visual aides in instruction has benefited all students.  Derived from SIOP (Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol), this practice is meant to provide scaffolding to students and  help them focus on the process of learning.  Having cards that represent materials and places in the room, I can provide the visual cues along with my written and verbal.  This practice helps many types of students, from emerging bilinguals to students of various learning styles, by lowering the stress and difficulty of understanding procedures .

Some of my visual input cards.

Every morning I write on the board what is expected of them that morning.  I try to always pair the writing with a picture referring to their task.  I have found this effective with struggling readers, since blocks of text can sometimes act as a deterrent for them.  This way the picture cues them into the subject of the sentence and helps them decode the rest.







No comments:

Post a Comment