Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Adobe InDesign for Classroom Publishing

 While working with students to publish a piece of writing for the year (type it up, add some illustrations, laminate cover and comb bind it) I had an idea.  I recently got the Adobe Creative Suite and had been trying to figure out ways to utilize these tools in the classroom.  I have a friend in my graduate program (who is the most phenomenal teacher) that recommend using Adobe InDesign to make printed material.  After teaching myself the basics, I was amazed at how many different ways you could use it in the classroom.  From pamphlet design to developing a template for a classroom newspaper, there really are limitless ways to integrate.


My idea was more specific though.  I saw myself creating a publishing company for my classroom (with the requisite clever name and logo).  Using InDesign, I could take the time to professionally layout and design student writing to be book-level quality.  The tools are there, and the time required decreases as one learns the program.  There are even a myriad of simple binding techniques one could use so the the actual book is on par with the layout.  I believe that upgrading the quality (publishing wise) of student work showcases that the work students do is valuable and just as worthy to have the time spent to make it look that way.


InDesign in action
I do enjoy lists, so I will shed my verbose prose to sum up my idea:

  • Create a classroom publishing company (be sure to design a logo and make a poster or two).  This company is one that stays with the classroom, allowing students to feel that their work is part of a legacy.
  • Have students type up their work (the ability to type and publish work digitally is in the Common Core State Standards).  I believe that it is important to publish all sizes and levels of work.  Just because a student is a struggling writer does not mean that their work has any less reason to be published than another students series of chapter books.
  • Use InDesign to create a template for book layouts (you could create one standard template to save time, or have a few to choose from).
  • After formatting the student work, print it.
  • Now it is time to bind the book.  There are many different ways to bind and create books.  A great resource is Paula Beardell Krieg's Book Arts blog: Playful Bookbinding and Paper Works (located at http://bookzoompa.wordpress.com/).  This blog is worth checking out just for the how-tos and picture guides on classroom bookmaking.
  • Have some sort of celebration when a book is published, and maybe at the end of the year have a large publishing party/gallery walk to honor all student work.


No comments:

Post a Comment