Thursday, March 21, 2013

Mission Statement

It has been a long journey getting to this point.  After years of undergraduate education, and over nine months of graduate school (seven of which were spend in my classroom), I am finally ready to take this next step.

Over this past year, I have been creating my own commonplace book:


A page from my commonplace book.

Another page from my commonplace book.
I have slowly been building a personal tome, chronicling various teaching ideas and practices that I have encountered.  Teaching, like learning (in a way those words are synonymous) is never static.     

To continually push my understanding and progress in this ancient trade, it is time to transfer my commonplace book to a more public setting.  Since the essence of the commonplace book is the idea that there is a social construction of learning and understanding, it is my desire to enter into a dialogue with educators, parents, and students from around the world.  The commonplace book need not solely be a conversation with texts and my own thoughts, but other active voices should be brought in.  

And with this idea at its heart, I have decided to create this blog to reflect my personal commonplace book.  When I make entries into my physical book, I will also publish them here.  My hope is that slowly over time this medium will evolve into its own unique thought experiment, complimenting [instead of solely mirroring] my physical commonplace book.

No comments:

Post a Comment